Follow by Email

Friday, March 26, 2010

Alcohol ink

Sometimes, when you're staring at a table full of supplies and have no idea where to start, inspiration hits. That was me tonight.
I wanted to create something... anything. I just didn't know what. Then I saw the alcohol inks. I love the way the colours change the more you play with them, but I didn't want to use gloss paper or transparencies tonight. Then, I saw the vellum. I bought a new stamp last weekend that I love, and bought the vellum to make the card that was on display at the store. I started to experiment and see what alcohol inks would look like on the vellum. I am glad that I experimented. This is something I can see myself doing for my Christmas cards this year. I really love the way it turned out.

This was the first attempt. I really like the way it turned out. The alcohol ink was put on the vellum. I played with it, adding and removing colour, I used three shades of blue (denim, cloud and I can't recall the third one) plus some silver metalic. In between colour layers, I used my heat gun to set the colours. I used staz-on for the trees (Stampin Up's Lovely as a Tree stamp). Then I used my Nestabilities to cut the mat out of metalic light blue paper. 

 
This was the second attempt. I am not as fond of this one- I think I needed to play with the colours a little more. The technique was the same. 
Now, just to find something to use them for!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Simplicity

I wanted to create a card that was very simple and clean. What I ended up with wasn't quite what I had in mind, but I really like the way it turned out. I had the card designed with black, silver and white, but it needed a little something extra, and I think this pop of red really adds something to it.
Layers are as follows (starting at the bottom layer):
White cardstock
Black cardstock with punched edge
Silver cardstock
White cardstock embossed with a Cuttlebug folder
Black ribbon
Red cardstock cut with a Nestabilities.
Silver dragonfly brads.
White cardstock cut with the next size up.
Sentiment was done on the computer and printed.