Thursday, January 6, 2011

On a roll

... two posts in one week... I am on track so far this year!

I made this card for my dad's 66th birthday which is in a couple of weeks. It's a chilly -30 with the windchill, so I've been more inclined to play in my (somewhat) tidy craft area. It's nice to hang out in the basement with a critter or two when you don't want to play outside.

 I love this stamp. I've used it several times since I bought it last winter at Scrapyard in Stonewall. Best $4.99 I've spent!
Here's the details...
The background was done with three shades of blue sponged on to white cardstock. I started with the lightest shade in the centre and then layered a darker shade then the darkest blue on the outer edge.
Then, I stamped the deer in dark brown and embossed using a clear embossing powder. The trees were added after, and also embossed in clear.
The snow is Tulip puffy paint. It's way cheaper than the puffy paint you can get from scrapbooking stores, and I find it dries faster and better. The applique paint seems to be tacky, even after it's dried for several hours or days. (my opinion).
For the puffy paint, you apply it and then hit it with the heat gun, and it puffs up. You do need to be a little careful, because if you overheat it, it will darken and possibly burn. Looks like toasted marshmallows when that happens.

I made this one for my dear friend who recently lost her mom. I see myself getting a lot of use out of this set, too.

The flower is from Because I Care by Stampin' Up!. It was stamped on to an alcohol ink background (2.5 by 3.5 glossy card) and layered onto a light and dark purple card stock. The flower is embossed in black to make it stand out a bit more and to add texture.
The light purple layer was embossed with a Cuttlebug folder. Also a new addition to my stamping stash, courtesy of Scrapyard. Love their sales!
The butterfly was a happy accident. When I use the alcohol inks, I usually put a white piece of paper or card underneath. I went over the edge slightly, and really loved how it turned out, so I grabbed my MS butterfly punch and punched it out. It's attached with a small piece of double stick foam.
The sentiment is punched out with the oval and slightly overlapped with a plain purple oval.
I added the ribbon because it needed a little something, and it gives it just that little bit of sheen (also known as bling).

As I've been tiding my craft space, I've been devising plans for more cards. Can't wait to see what the paper turns into over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment